I’m back! From outer space! Just walked in to find me here…etc. etc. etc. A lot has happened since my last update forever ago. Which I hardly think could have possibly been a year ago…but I guess it was. So far: I have a new job! I teach engineering design and development and advanced math at a magnet high school. I’m not trained for this, so it can be stressful, but that’s okay 🙂 I’m still in debt…if anything in more, so it’s time to start actually keeping track of my spending instead of ruining my credit and being all sad. bf & I are on a break right now because I just moved, he is moving, he is in the process of transferring to an unopened store, I have a new job, and we work opposing schedules. We’re going to a haunted house for my birthday in a few weeks, and so the plan is to pick up where we left off. We’re moving into the same complex, I’m just a month ahead, so that’s sure to help!
October Part Two Goals:
- Get down to 175 lbs
- Use MFP & my new apartment’s gym
- Finish Half of a Yellow Sun
- Finish unpacking… 😦
October Part Two Budget:
- 75% toward debt repayment
- 12% toward utilities
- 13% toward miscellaneous (gas, food, etc)
I am now officially 25, Halloween has passed, and my addiction to pumpkin anything will continue!
October Goals Progress:
- Have $100 in my emergency fund
- Bring my total of completed granny squares for bf’s blanket up to 400
- Order checks
- Sell some crochet/knit products – I have a buyer lined up for a hat!
- Exercise 3x a week – I’m not even going to pretend I tried.
- Bake a pumpkin pie from scratch with bf – and it was delicious!
- Go to a pumpkin patch with bf
- End the month with a 4.0 in my coursework
- Have a debt repayment plan – does it count as a plan if I’m just paying the minimum until I can find a second job? Though…I did pay two WAY overdue debts to the girl doctor, so yay debt repayment!
- Car Work (inspection, headlight, oil, belt) – I changed my headlight!
- Lose 5-7 lbs
- Learn a new knitting or crocheting technique – I learned to do the St John’s Wort stitch!
- Make a 5 year plan – Still putting this off…not that I’m scared of the future or anything
- bf got me a red Kitchenaid mixer for my birthday! Best. Present. Ever!!!
- Henna’d my hair (now I’m auburn!)
- Paid off two smaller debts that I’ve been sadly avoiding for almost a year
- Roommate had a surprise appendectomy
- Got a UTI (and treatment for one), and a tetanus shot (which actually hurt)
- Got a new “niece”!!! What do you call the niece of your bf? His family calls me “Aunt Lacey” and I have a picture of her up at my desk, so I am claiming her as my niece!
Delicious homemade pie!
This is the most accurate photo of my life right now…
I’m sure y’all remember my September goal of getting a part-time job? And how I didn’t meet that goal despite two interviews and a billion (12) job applications? I went most of October trying not to worry about it…because I can make it on my current salary. Then I remembered that thing called spring tuition. That thing that’s approximately $900 that I will not make enough money to cover by January…so commence part-time job search numero two for the year!
When people say looking for a job is a job, they’re only lightly exagerating. So far this month I’ve applied to thirteen different companies, and to several positions at those companies. Not that I’m bragging (#brag). So far I’ve scheduled one interview. Seems like a lot of work for not a lot of return, right?
So here’s what I’ve learned so far:
- Virtually every company has a “Careers” link at the bottom of their website that allows you to search for positional openings by location
- Major companies are hiring for seasonal employees RIGHT NOW (get on that)
- Don’t list your starting pay as too high. No, no one is going to pay you a starting rate of $15/hour to be a cashier
- Revise your resume and MAKE SURE you didn’t accidentally address it to a different company
- Have your information gathered before you start an online application. It may want the contact information from your previous five jobs, it may want your addresses from the last ten years
- And on that note, some of them have these huge questionaires to fill out, so be prepared to spend up to an hour on an application based on what the needs of the company are. How do you feel about that statement? Agree, Completely Agree, Strongly Disagree, … (okay I’m done)
In the end, this is going to be one of those things that y’all should cross your fingers for me…but also if you’re going through this yourself, persistence, creative job searching (try to think of companies and peruse their sites, ask your friends, just ask the cashier at your favorite store, etc), and most of all patience, are going to be your bff Rose.
- The most I’ve spent this last week was – $84 – Groceries
- Today I am thankful that I’m alive? And that my birthday is coming up and my car insurance will go down 😉
- Money can’t buy happiness. One free thing I did last week that made me happy was getting to hold Ayne and watch her sleep
- I will consider this week a success if I find a part-time job…
- If I had today off I would try to be constructive
Ayne-Kate = ADORBS. We did a photoshoot with her this past weekend, and some of the pictures are simply outrageously adorable. I’m trying to find a seasonal job now that I know tuition for the spring will be about $900. My brother’s computer died, so I’ve lent him mine until Christmas (when he’s likely to get another one), so I’ve been borrowing my roommate’s Ipad 2, which is great…except that I can’t run any of the software to do online course creation, which puts a damper in my ability to freelance.
I’ve actually been struggling a lot with my depression…but moreso with my anxiety and tendency to overthink, overinterpret, and be negative. I know it’s been difficult for me to deal with my relationships with others especially, so I’m going to try to read the book “Feeling Good.” I’ve heard it helps. Or something like that. 🙂
Also un-frugal confession: #goingtodisneyinnovember (super excited – bf and I joke that I’m Chip and he’s Dale because I’m much more serious and analytical and he’s very carefree … we may even have the matching pins and stuffed animals (may = we do))
This month I’ve…
- Started knitting a sweater for bf’s dog
- Went to a craft fair
- Got to meet my new “niece”
- Finally watched Iron Man 3
- A laundry hamper
- Cardigan (that I promptly got candle wax on…need to get on cleaning that)
- Redbox movies (IM3 & Now You See Me)
- 2 Pumpkin Spice Chai Lattes (& pumpkin spice creamer to make my own!)
October Goal Progress includes…
- Baked a pumpkin pie from scratch with bf! (Pictures to come)
- Changed my headlight!
How has your October been?
- The most I’ve spent this last week was – $350 – Rent from October
- Today I am thankful that I got my deposit back early for electricity for “Prompt Payment” and thus my electric bill was only $44 total!
- Money can’t buy happiness. One free thing I did last week that made me happy was going for a ridiculously long walk with bf & his puppy.
- I will consider this week a success if I do laundry.
- If I had today off I would sleep because I keep dozing off at work…
I got to see Ayne-Kate this weekend, and she is adorable. I also made her a lamb hat, which is absolutely prescious. I’m going to try to knit her a sweater, as well as bf’s mom. She does a lot for me (not that my own mom doesn’t), and since she knits I know she’d realize how much effort it took to make it. With the holidays also coming up, I’m going to try to find a seasonal job to boost my Christmas spending and tuition payments for the spring. Just trying to stay motivated…
I don’t know if I’ve mentioned that bf’s sister was pregnant, but she was! On October 7th (yesterday – and also my & bf’s anniversary), she underwent a c-section and we welcomed a…GIRL!!!! into this world!
So if I’ve been awol, it’s been through preparing and meeting Ms. Ayne-Kate. I’m not posting pictures on here, at least not yet, because even though it’s a semi-anonymous blog, I’d like to be respectful of her and bf’s sister/brother-in-law’s privacy. She was 8 lbs 9 oz, 20” long, and is the most beautiful baby I’ve ever seen.
I’ll be writing posts more conducive to finance later, but all I can think of right now is her tiny little tinyness and holding her again! And also finding knit/crochet patterns for her! I’m such a proud aunt 🙂